Tuesday, August 31, 2010

It goes everywhere



Many of you asked for the make of this all-terrain wheelchair yesterday. I spoke to the vendor today, and it's a Terratrek by Motion Concepts, available in Canada and the U.S. (and I'm not sure where else).

I've been able to push it through sand and across the shallow part of a rock-strewn lake and I know it was used in all kinds of conditions at camp. Ben is very light, so I'm not sure how challenging it is to push with more weight. For us it's a smooth ride and the big wheels just pop on and off.

Now for a couple more links:

Here are some fascinating paper and poster abstracts that will be presented at the fifth International Disability Studies Conference at Lancaster University Sept. 7-9. Has anyone ever attended this conference?

Tekeal, from Bern, Switzerland, recommends Yo, tambien (Me too). This film, about a university graduate with Down syndrome who falls in love with a colleague, "is one of the most surprising films of the last year with two spectacularly good protagonists," according to the website of the International Film Festival in Rotterdam.

And my wonderful cousin Pamela in Bath, England, recommends this BBC documentary: Small Teen, Big World, about a teenager with dwarfism.

2 comments:

Hi Louise,

As long as parents are looking at all purpose wheelchairs, I think that Marvel Wheelchairs deserves some consideration:

www.marvelwheelchairs.net

One may also want to visit Google by typing "marvel wheelchairs" into the search engine.

Although I have yet to try this product myself, as my body and and abilities will change after surgery, I believe this to be a superior chair in every way. First, the design of this chair is like nothing we have ever seen before. For instance this chair light in weight and is assembled of broken-down into three seperate parts: the frame or seat of the wheelchair, its rear wheels, along with its front tires (also knowns as casters)and foot-rest.

Hence, you may asking yourself, "What does this mean in terms of practical or everyday use? Well, my answer is simple: Parents no longer have to break their backs while trying to lift their child's wheelchair into the car or van. Now, parents can simply pick-up the fame with one hand, then the tires, and then the foot-rest.

Furthermore, the front and rear tires can easily be changed by parents for everyday use or off-road adventures, without having to worry about your child's specific seating needs, as their seating position can remain the same.

However, although I know this wheelchair will not be a viable option for everyone, it does have me and a few therapists taking a closer look.

Take care,

Matt Kamaratakis

that's one awesome wheelchair!
Lisa