Monday, February 13, 2012

My Child's Dream: To Have Friends

The Huffington Post is running this BLOOM post from last week:

My Child's Dream: To Have Friends

There is growing research showing kids with disabilities are largely friendless and that the older the kids get, the worse their isolation. The numbers are stark and I think would be cause for concern (from a health perspective) if they pertained to any other population of children.

This blog has had close to 800 pageviews at BLOOM and seems to have struck a chord with parents.

Please visit Huff Post and leave a comment if you feel inclined, or link to their story to raise awareness.

Thanks! Louise



3 comments:

He has friends in Arkansas!

I came across your post My Child's Dream on the Huffington Post site today.

I'm not a parent, but I was profoundly moved by it.

Growing up, I was often in a classroom where there was a student with a disability. While I can't speak for everyone else, I made it a priority to interact with that student each day.

I can't begin to imagine what it is like for someone who is disabled and what they must be feeling or thinking.

I think the problem is that some see those who are disabled as different. In reality, they're not. They're just like everyone else, and deserve the same love and respect.

If he'll have us, Ben's got friends in freezing cold and snowy Minnesota!!